Sudeley Castle, outside Winchcombe in Gloucestershire, was the ancestral home of the Brydges family and the Dukes of Chandos. It was purchased by the first Duke of Buckingham and Chandos in 1810 out of sentimentality. The castle was at that time little more than a ruin, having been slighted at the end of the Civil War in 1649. The Duke paid £8,000 for the castle and 62 acres.
Sudeley was sold in 1837 for £10,250 to William and John Dent, who owned a Worcestershire glove making company. They began an ambitious restoration programme. This was continued by their nephew John Coucher Dent, who inherited the Castle in 1855, and his wife Emma.
In the year 1837, John Dent and William Dent, Esqrs, of the city of Worcester, gentlemen of equal liberty and taste, and who had previously purchased the greater part of the Sudeley estates, succeeded in treating with the Duke for the castle and the remainder, and “with a laudable solicitude to rescue from its impending fate so interesting and fine a monument of bygone days,—for which the country owes them a great debt of gratitude,—promptly commenced the work of reparation. [I'm not sure of the source of this quote and the image below]
Today, Sudeley is home to Lord and Lady Ashcombe and the Dent-Brocklehurst family, and is a tourist attraction.
Vandalism at Sudeley
From the Stowe 1848 Sale Catalogue, p14. Lot 220, two pairs of Genoa velvet curtains were purchased by J & W Dent. The cataloguers noted:
Sudeley Castle, the residence of the Messrs. Dent, is a beautiful specimen of Tudor architecture. It was formerly the residence of Giles Lord Chandos, who entertained Queen Elizabeth there. It was also the residence of the Lord High Admiral Lord Seymour of Sudeley; and Queen Catharine Parr, who was buried in the chapel there. Her remains were disturbed a few years ago by some barbarians from Cheltenham, and her skull exhibited. The tomb was carefully restored by order of the late Duchess of Buckingham. Sudeley remained in the Chandos family until about 20 years ago, when it was sold by the late Duke to Mr Dent, the present possessor, who has restored the building in good taste.
 Catherine Parr was the Queen consort of Henry VIII of England 1543-1547; the last of his six wives.
This site is dedicated to the Dukes of Buckingham and Chandos, the fourth creation of the Buckingham Dukedom
dukesofbuckingham.org.uk is a copyleft site designed and developed by River Tree Ideas