George Thomas John Nugent, 8th Earl of Westmeath, 1st (and last) Marquess of Westmeath (1785-1871)
His ancestry can be traced to Norman barons. Robert Nugent (1621-1642) was created first Earl of Westmeath in 1621.
- 1785: Birth 17 July at Clonyn, Co Westmeath
- Only child of:
- George Frederick Westmeath, 7th Earl (1760-1814) [he had five children by a second marriage]
- Mary Anne St John Jefferyes; married 1st April 1784; divorced by Act of Parliament October 1796
- Educated at Eton and Rugby
- 1800: Ensign in Coldstream Guards
- 1801: Served in Egyptian Campaign in Coldstream Guards
- 1803: Captain in 3rd East Kent Regiment of Foot
- 1803-04: Lieutenant and Captain in Coldstream Guards
- 1805 or earlier: Illegitimate son by Irish mistress.
- 1812: Married Emily Anne Bennet Elizabeth [Cecil] (1789-1858), second daughter of 1st Marquess of Salisbury, on 29 May in the private chapel at Hatfield House
- 1813-15: 88th Foot, Commander Barracks Ireland
- 1814: Only daughter, Rosa Emily Mary Anne born in May.
- 1814: or before; second illegitimate child by Irish mistress
- 1814: Earl of Westmeath on the death of his father.
- 1818: Legitimate son born and died.
- 1822: Created 1st Marquis of Westmeath 12 January
- 1827: Divorced from Emily. The marriage and divorce was acrimonious, and the turbulent story is told in Stone's Broken Lives. Further documents are in the Fremantle collection at BRO including further speculation on the role of the Duke of Wellington.
- 1831-71: Lord Lieutenant Co Westmeath
- 1831-71: representative Irish peer in the House of Lords
- 1858: Married Maria Jarvis 18 February
- 1862: Divorced from Maria
- 1864: Married Elizabeth Charlotte, 2nd daughter of David Verner
- 1871: Died 5 May
George was also Colonel of Co Westmeath Militia.